Two men in custody after woman’s killing spurs SWAT standoff on Far South Side; 2 others killed early Friday in unrelated Chicago attacks

·2 min read

Two men were arrested early Friday after the shooting death of a 26-year-old woman led to a three-hour standoff in the West Pullman neighborhood, police said.

The woman, who the Cook County medical examiner’s office said was found dead in the 12300 block of South Union Avenue, was one of at least three people shot to death Friday in Chicago as of 7 a.m., according to authorities.

Officers called to near 12200 S. Union Ave. just before 12:10 a.m. found the woman shot in the head and lying unresponsive on a sidewalk, according to a police media notification. Witnesses told officers a male attacker had run into a nearby multiunit apartment building.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene at 12:35 a.m., according to the medical examiner’s office, which had not yet released her name Friday morning.

After the initial police response, a SWAT team was called and officers were in a standoff with the suspect until about 3:30 a.m., when two men surrendered to police, according to a police media notification. A man also wounded in the same shooting went to St. Bernard Hospital for treatment of a gunshot wound to the hip and was treated and released, police said.

The shooting may have been a domestic attack, police said.

Two men also were killed early Friday in unrelated attacks in the Cragin and Gresham neighborhoods, according to police.

In Gresham, a man whose age wasn’t available Friday morning was sitting in a parked car about 4:45 a.m. in the 7600 block of South Exchange Avenue when someone reached into the vehicle and shot the man three times in the chest after the two spoke briefly, according to police. The man was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Earlier, in Cragin, a 39-year-old man was killed and a 41-year-old woman was wounded in what was believed to be a domestic attack, police said.

Officers responded to a call of shots fired in the 4900 block of West Wrightwood Avenue about 1:20 a.m. and found the man lying on a porch, unresponsive, according to a police media notification. The man had been shot in the chest and ankle and was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. The woman also was lying on the porch, with gunshot wounds to the chest and arm, and was taken to Illinois Masonic, where she was initially in serious condition.

A relative of the two people shot was found walking two blocks from the scene and was being questioned by detectives Friday morning, police said. Investigators believe the attack was domestic.

Domestic violence killings in Chicago have surged during the coronavirus pandemic.

Check back for updates.