Two more shootings, one in Oakland, linked to Stockton serial killings: police
Police have linked two shootings that occurred in April 2021 in Stockton and Oakland to a series of five similar slayings under investigation by local and federal investigators, Stockton Police reported Monday.
The first shooting, on April 10 at about 4:18 a.m., resulted in the death of a 40-year-old Hispanic man in Oakland, police said.
The second shooting occurred on April 16 near the intersection of Park and Union streets in Stockton, police said. A 46-year-old Black woman was shot at about 3:20 a.m. and survived her injuries, according to police.
More: Person of interest sought in series of connected killings
Timeline: Key moments in police investigation of series of Stockton killings
Investigators believe the two cases are part of a pattern of five shootings in which victims, some homeless, were assaulted while outside in isolated areas in the early morning hours, police said. The five shootings occurred from July 8 to Sept. 27 north of the Calaveras River and east of I-5.
"It definitely meets the definition of a serial killer," said Stockton Police spokesman Officer Joseph Silva. "What makes this different is the shooter is just looking for an opportunity, and unfortunately our victims were alone in a dark area."
A person of interest is being sought in connection with the cases, Police Chief Stanley McFadden announced Friday.
Related: Police investigating string of late-night killings in Stockton
Investigators determined that the two new cases were connected to the five known cases using ballistics testing, which showed that the same type of weapon was used, according to Silva.
Silva said he could not disclose the specific type of weapon used for the integrity of the investigation.
Police interviewed the survivor of the Park and Union shooting last year, and plan to conduct additional interviews with her, according to Silva.
On Monday, Stockton Police also reported that the reward for information leading to an arrest in the investigation was increased from $85,000 to $95,000 after the owner of a local construction business donated $10,000 to the reward funds.
The AP contributed to this report.
This is a developing story. Check back at Recordnet.com for updates.
Record reporter Aaron Leathley covers public safety. She can be reached at email@example.com or on Twitter @LeathleyAaron. Support local news, subscribe to The Stockton Record at https://www.recordnet.com/subscribenow.
This article originally appeared on The Record: Stockton serial killings: 2 more shootings linked to series of slayings