TWU Local 100 talks with MTA continue over weekend; current contract for NYC bus, subway workers expires Monday

·2 min read

Contract talks between the MTA and and the union representing bus and subway workers are expected to continue this weekend — and they’re coming on the heels of a three-day wildcat sickout by Brooklyn bus workers, sources told the Daily News.

The sickout by 175 workers at NYC Transit’s Flatbush bus depot ran from Monday to Wednesday, said a source familiar with the incident. That source said the dispute was with managers at the site.

But the incident also came as the TWU Local 100′s contract with the MTA is set to expire on Monday — and while union leaders and MTA managers are negotiating a new deal.

The Flatbush depot is home to buses on the B2, B31, B41, B44, B46, and B49 lines. In a tweet on Tuesday, the MTA warned riders to expect delays on those routes.

“We’re running as much service as we can with the bus operators we have available,” the agency tweeted.

A spokesperson for TWU Local 100 declined to comment Friday on the apparent sick-out. An MTA spokesperson told The News that this week’s bus delays are being investigated.

The agency confirmed that contract talks were ongoing, but the spokesperson declined to comment further.

Local 100 leaders are demanding hazard pay for members and six months of parental leave, in addition to insurance coverage for mental health services and an end to a ceiling on overtime pay counting toward pension payouts.

If there’s no deal by Monday, the MTA is expected to continue operating under the terms of the expired contract, as the state’s Taylor Law bars public workers from striking.

Local 100 is the largest bargaining unit for New York City’s transit workers. Its current contract was ratified in January 2020.

During talks in 2019 for the current contract, the MTA accused union officials of intentionally slowing down bus service with overzealous “safety inspections.”

Local 100 claimed then-MTA Chairman Patrick Foye fought dirty when Foye accused then-TWU Local 100 President Tony Utano of running a “drug scam” when the union leader met with a company that claimed to broker low-cost or free specialty drugs from pharmaceutical company foundations.