KINSHASA (Reuters) - U.N. peacekeepers said on Wednesday they would have to cut rations for 6,800 ex-rebels and their families left in limbo in government camps in the Democratic Republic of Congo, blaming a shortage of funds and calling for the state to step in. The U.N. mission there also said some of the adults and children had been ordered to stay in the camps by rebel leaders trying to keep up a presence in the region - and the aid cut might push the commanders to let the people go home. The announcement underlined the plight of the thousands of former fighters and their dependants stuck in often dire conditions in demobilization camps for years amid a string of conflicts. Last October, U.S.-based Human Rights Watch said more than 100 people had died from starvation and disease in one camp because of government neglect. The U.N. Peacekeeping Mission in the country, MONUSCO, said on Wednesday it did not have the funds to keep feeding the inhabitants, and something needed to be done to resolve the festering problem and get the ex-fighters back home. "We don't have the money," mission head Martin Kobler told a news conference in the capital Kinshasa. "This costs us $2 million per month. It's not our task. It's not our obligation. The government must take responsibility." The government was not immediately available for comment but has in the past pointed to the difficulty of supplying remote camps, and accused world powers of not giving enough aid. The defense ministry recently pledged $1.5 million to support the camps, Taz Greyling, the chief of MONUSCO's demobilization, disarmament and reinsertion (DDR) section said. The camp inhabitants are members of a number of rebel groups, many from Congo, but others from the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), a force which includes former Hutu militia accused of involvement in the 1994 genocide in neighboring Rwanda. Analysts have said the FDLR commanders have been keen to keep their fighters in Congo to avoid having to return to Rwanda and face possible arrest and prosecution. The FDLR portrays itself as a defender of Hutu refugees in Congo, a country dogged by nearly two decades of conflict fueled by competition over vast minerals resources. In an email to Reuters, Greyling said the decision to cut support was also meant to pressure FDLR leaders to allow ex-fighters and their families leave the camps. "We hope that FDLR will let them leave and have a chance at a normal life," Greyling said. Junior Safari, executive director of the Congolese Association for the Respect of Human Rights in the northern city of Kisangani, where hundreds of ex-FDLR combatants and their families are housed, said MONUSCO's decision would force the former fighters to live off the population. "Now, they are going to have to get by on their own," he said. "They are going to create panic and insecurity among the population." (Reporting By Aaron Ross; Editing by Andrew Heavens)
- Yahoo Celebrity
Lopez and Affleck ended their engagement in 2004. "It sent me on a spiral for the next 18 years where I just couldn't get it right," the singer shared.
- Rolling Stone
Facing intense GOP pressure, Republican strongholds in Arizona are waiting until the last possible moment to certify their election results
- The State
Clarrissa Winchester died Nov. 9 when she was seven months pregnant. The baby died as well.
- Business Insider
Trump Org. rests case on sour note in NY tax fraud trial after judge scolds defense over 11th-hour evidence dump
Trump's real-estate company rested its defense case in a Manhattan tax fraud trial, after getting scolded by the judge for an 11th-hour evidence dump.
- Sacramento Bee
Emergency officials say ash and Pele’s hair could blanket parts of the island.
The family of the late Katie Meyer, formerly Stanford University’s star soccer captain, is suing the university for wrongful death, after Meyer took her life in her dorm room in February. Last week, Santa Clara County ruled that “there is no indication of foul play, and Meyer’s death was determined to be self-inflicted,” prompting Meyer’s family to file a lawsuit on Wednesday, Sports Illustrated reported.
"I’m... embarrassed in a certain sense because, you know, this has become a little bit of a scandal for President Trump,” Fuentes noted on his podcast.
Julia Roberts and Danny Moder's twins Hazel and Phinnaeus are 18 years old.
- Touchdown Wire
The Broncos' defense seems to have had enough of carrying Russell Wilson's water.
- Rutgers Wire
Paul Finebaum gives his four teams for the College Football Playoff.
- Broncos Wire
Broncos fans want Russell Wilson's social media team to stop the 'tone deaf' tweets while Denver is struggling.
- Ukrayinska Pravda
Yulia, the widow of the deputy head of the Pacific Higher Naval School [one of the Russian Navy's two higher educational institutions], Vadim Boyko, wrote an open letter to Russian dictator Vladimir Putin, in which she says that her husband committed "self-execution" after being accused of failing Putin's conscription measures.
- NBC Sports BayArea
Deebo Samuel tweeted about former 49ers teammate Raheem Mostert in light of recent comments about the 49ers.
- Miami Herald
An sharp-eyed UPS deliveryman came through in the clutch on Florida’s Space Coast.
The royal staff have a secret and pretty rude nickname for the Sussexes, and "flinch" whenever they come up in conversation.
- Roll Tide Wire
Alabama's win over Auburn was enough to bump the Crimson Tide up in the latest USA TODAY Sports Coaches Poll.
- The Tuscaloosa News
Alabama football is most likely headed to a New Year's SIx bowl game, but which one is still unknown. More will be learned after Tuesday's CFP rankings
- AZCentral | The Arizona Republic
Kari Lake and company flat out lost on Nov. 8. Now, they'll spend the next two years screaming about it. And raising money to 'fight' it.
- Yahoo Sports
Canelo Alvarez warns Lionel Messi after Mexico jersey video: ‘He better hope to God that he doesn’t run into me’
A video appeared to show Messi kicking a Mexico jersey, and Alvarez wasn't happy about it.
Now that the countdown to Christmas has officially begun, the British royal family has already started getting into the holiday spirit by decorating their glamorous tree at Windsor Castle. Last week, the official Instagram account dedicated to the Royal Collection Trust revealed an exclusive first look at the Christmas tree sitting right in St. George’s Hall at the royal residence this year. The charity shared that the tree is completely covered with 3,000 lights, hundreds of iridescent jewel-sh