The U.S. Open gets underway in August, but ballperson tryouts are coming up in less than two weeks. CBS2's Vanessa Murdock hit the court to show us what you can expect at tryouts and to see if she has the right stuff.
- Well, the US Open gets underway in August, but ballperson tryouts are coming up in less than two weeks. So do you have what it takes to pick up what the big names in tennis put down?
- CBS 2's Vanessa Murdock hit the court today to show us what you can expect at tryouts and to see if she actually has the right stuff.
VANESSA MURDOCK: Official outfit, kicks on, I'm just about ready for mock US Open ballperson tryouts. But before I showcase my skills at the Billie Jean King USA National Tennis Center under the brutal sun, I asked the chosen ones-- official ballpersons-- for a little advice.
- Stay calm.
- Be quick. Try not to fall over.
- And the best ballpeople are not noticed by anyone else.
- If you make a mistake, don't beat yourself up.
VANESSA MURDOCK: Were you nervous your first time out?
- Oh, for sure.
VANESSA MURDOCK: That makes me feel a little better, because the more I speak to the chosen ones the more nervous I get. Then, I meet director of the ballperson program Tiahnne Noble.
TIAHNNE NOBLE: I'm going to get you up on the net. We're going to see how you are at picking up the balls from the net.
VANESSA MURDOCK: I get into pole position.
TIAHNNE NOBLE: Nobody's allowed to laugh.
VANESSA MURDOCK: Noble says speed and agility count big time, and I feel like I'm off to a pretty good start. Then this happens.
TIAHNNE NOBLE: Oh, go back. There we go.
VANESSA MURDOCK: And my rolling needs some work, too.
TIAHNNE NOBLE: Oh. That was a bit of a bouncer.
VANESSA MURDOCK: OK. I'm tired.
But we weren't done yet. I had to keep going. The breathing gets heavier.
Onto the next test-- servicing the ball to the player. You receive it from the net and then--
TIAHNNE NOBLE: Just really a throw or a toss to that player.
VANESSA MURDOCK: One out of three. Not too bad. It's time for the verdict. Would I be invited onto the ballperson team?
TIAHNNE NOBLE: That's a tough one.
VANESSA MURDOCK: OK, so not an immediate no.
TIAHNNE NOBLE: Based on today, I would probably not invite you into the team, just because I think you can improve that stamina.
VANESSA MURDOCK: You think? Remember this?
I bet you'd do better as a ballperson, but better move fast. The application deadline is next week. From Flushing Queens, Vanessa Murdock, CBS 2 News.
- Oh, they're tough.
- I'm impressed, Vanessa.
- I think that she did just fine.
- I think she should make it, right?
- She didn't do any pre-training for this.
- No, just stepped up there cold. But they're tough. I guess as they should be.