By Mark Hosenball and Jim Finkle WASHINGTON/BOSTON (Reuters) - U.S. investigators believe that North Korea likely hired hackers from outside the country to help with last month's massive cyberattack against Sony Pictures, an official close to the investigation said on Monday. As North Korea lacks the capability to conduct some elements of the sophisticated campaign by itself, the official said, U.S. investigators are looking at the possibility that Pyongyang "contracted out" some of the cyber work. The official was not authorized to speak on the record about the investigation. The attack on Sony Pictures is regarded to be the most destructive against a company on U.S. soil because the hackers not only stole huge quantities of data, but also wiped hard drives and brought down much of the studio's network for more than a week. While U.S. officials investigate whether North Korea enlisted help from outside contractors, the FBI stood by its previous statement that Pyongyang was the prime author of the attack against the Sony Corp unit. "The FBI has concluded the Government of North Korea is responsible for the theft and destruction of data on the network of Sony Pictures Entertainment," the Federal Bureau of Investigation said in a statement to Reuters. North Korea has denied that it was behind the Sony attack and has vowed to hit back against any U.S. retaliation. The people who claimed responsibility for the hack have said on Internet postings that they were incensed by the Sony Pictures film "The Interview," a comedy about a fictional assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Because of the hackers' threats, major U.S. cinema chains refused to show the film. Last week, Sony struck deals with some 320 independent theaters to distribute "The Interview" and also made the film available online. BLAMING NORTH KOREA Some private security experts have begun to question whether Pyongyang was behind the Sony cyberattack at all. For instance, consulting firm Taia Global said the results of a linguistic analysis of communications from the suspected hackers suggest they were more likely from Russia than North Korea. Cybersecurity firm Norse said it suspects a Sony insider might have helped launch the attack. "I think the government acted prematurely in announcing unequivocally that it was North Korea before the investigation was complete," said Mark Rasch, a former federal cybercrimes prosecutor. "There are many theories about who did it and how they did it. The government has to be pursuing all of them." The FBI said its determination that North Korea was behind the hack was based on information from a variety of sources, including intelligence sources, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, foreign partners and the private sector. "There is no credible information to indicate that any other individual is responsible for this cyber incident," the agency said. Kevin Mandia, whose security firm was hired by Sony to investigate the attack, said the only way to know who the culprits are is to trace the network traffic from the infected machines back to the hackers' machines. Only the government and Internet service providers have that kind of visibility, he added. "I don't have the data that they have to come up with that conclusion," Mandia, chief operating officer of FireEye Inc, said in a video interview with Reuters. "Every attack loops through numerous machines," he said. "You have to peel that onion all the way back. It isn't an easy thing to do." Mandia, who has supervised investigations into some of the world's biggest cyberattacks, said the Sony case was unprecedented. "Nobody expected when somebody breaks in to absolutely destroy all your data, or try to anyway, and that's just something that no one else has seen," he said. (Reporting by Mark Hosenball in Washington and Jim Finkle in Boston; Editing by Tiffany Wu and Warren Strobel)
Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting
It's "not an agenda," the Watergate journalist told MSNBC's "Morning Joe."
- The Daily Beast
YouTubeThe last text Gabby Petito sent before she went missing while road-tripping across the U.S. with her fiancé set off alarm bells for her mother, who became fearful for the 22-year-old’s safety after receiving the “odd” message.That’s according to a newly-unsealed search warrant giving North Port, Florida, police permission to search a hard drive investigators found in Petito’s white van, which she and Brian Laundrie, 23, had been using to tour the country’s national parks.“The text message
- Miami Herald
Camila Cabello looked like she was starring in a music video for the updated version of an old ’60s song the other day.
- The Daily Beast
LAPDA mom and daughter who allegedly posed as plastic surgery pros have been charged with murder after an aspiring adult film actress’ illegal butt augmentation surgery turned deadly.Libby Adame, 51, and Alicia Galaz, 23, were arrested Aug. 5 in Riverside, California, in connection with the death of 26-year-old Karissa Rajpaul, who died at a local hospital hours after she underwent the botched procedure.The Los Angeles Police Department told local outlets that the two women posed as specialists
The attorney for Petito's family, Richard Stafford, told Insider the remains found on Sunday belonged to the 22-year-old.
- Washington Examiner
Florida authorities searching for the boyfriend of Gabby Petito said Tuesday that someone bearing his likeness was caught on a deer camera hiking through the wilderness.
A police note was found on Brian Laundrie's car after he disappeared following a hike into a Florida nature preserve, his family says
Brian Laundrie's family said they picked up the Ford Mustang from the Carlton Reserve in Florida when he didn't come home.
On Monday’s airing of The ReidOut, host Joy Reid addressed the massive media coverage surrounding Gabrielle “Gabby” Petito, the young […] The post Joy Reid calls out ‘Missing White Woman Syndrome’ amid Gabby Petito case appeared first on TheGrio.
- E! News
After Gerard Butler recently mentioned that he doesn’t “watch Ryan Reynolds’ movies,” the Free Guy actor responded to the critique head-on.
- Women's Health
"Shody still got it… shody never lost it 😂"
- Harper's Bazaar
Issa Rae at the Emmys. Megan Fox at the VMAs. Zoë Kravitz and Kendall Jenner at the Met Gala. Is this what a post-Victoria's Secret world looks like?
- Entertainment Weekly
Dancing With the Stars recap: See who earned the lowest score by doing something completely different
Jojo Siwa danced last with a female partner, a show first.
Jennifer Eakins reveals her latest list of players to consider dropping to make room for options with more upside on the waiver wire.
- Good Housekeeping
We did not expect this! 🙌
"I'm Literally Shaking," This Woman Said After Finding An AirTag On Her Car And Realizing Someone Was Tracking Her
"I'm literally shaking — look what I just found on my car."View Entire Post ›
- USA TODAY Sports - Golfweek
There's plenty of bonding at the biennial event, and not just among the players.
One of the most highly anticipated movies of Marvel’s MCU Phase 4 is Fantastic Four. Fox wasted its chance to successfully reboot the film a few years before Disney acquired Fox, bringing the rights back under Marvel’s control. Kevin Feige confirmed in late July 2019 that Fantastic Four projects are in the works, but he … The post This is the Marvel ‘Fantastic Four’ news we’ve been waiting for appeared first on BGR.
Givanildo V. De Sousa, aka "Hulk," shares three kids with his ex-wife Iran Angelo, who is the aunt of his current wife Camila
Will we see home prices come down anytime soon? Here’s what the forecast models are predicting for the next year.
'If communities like The Villages represent the future of aging, please count me out' — Why an expert on aging has concerns about this type of 55+ residence.