Ukraine’s Cabinet calls for mandatory evacuation from Donetsk Oblast before cold season

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2 min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Ukraine’s Cabinet calls for mandatory evacuation from Donetsk Oblast before cold season
Ukraine’s Cabinet calls for mandatory evacuation from Donetsk Oblast before cold season

"There is absolutely no gas supply in Donetsk Oblast, all the gas pipelines that could be repaired have been repaired, but, unfortunately, the enemy again and again destroys everything that could keep people warm in winter," Vereshchuk said.

Read also: One day on the evacuation train that takes scores westward from war-torn Donbas

“There is no proper electricity supply. In a word, there will be no heating in Donetsk Oblast in the winter. The 33rd article of the Code of Civil Protection stipulates exactly that this form of evacuation is mandatory.”

According to Vereshchuk, 200,000-220,000 people remain in the region today, including 52,000 children.

“I believe that (the evacuation of children) is the duty of every adult family member,” the minister said.

“There are 52,000 children in Donetsk Oblast. They need to be evacuated. They cannot be exposed to mortal danger in the winter without heat, electricity, without the possibility of warming.”

Read also: Ukrainian patrol officer shares story of evacuation of 42,000 people from Luhansk Oblast

However, Vereshchuk added that it would possible to refuse to evacuate. For this, residents of Donetsk Oblast will need to confirm in writing that they understand and are aware of all the consequences and that they bear personal responsibility for their own lives.

“We are a democratic country, we cannot force someone (to evacuate), but such a (refusal document) will be obligatory and will have to be signed," she said.

According to Vereshchuk, Russian-occupied Zaporizhzhya Oblast, 65% of which does not have gas supplies, may be next to receive a mandatory evacuation order.

Read also: How large cities in Donetsk region are preparing for an attack by two hostile forces — the Russians and the cold

The Cabinet of Ministers on July 29 created a coordination headquarters to oversee the evacuation of Donetsk Oblast.

Earlier in July Donetsk Governor Pavlo Kyrylenko reported that 340,000 people are still staying in war-torn Donetsk Oblast.

Read the original article on The New Voice of Ukraine