By Natalia Zinets and Richard Balmforth KIEV (Reuters) - Ukrainian army units came under attack from Russian regular forces in eastern Ukraine on Tuesday and heavy fighting was taking place, a Ukrainian military spokesman said. The announcement at a specially called news briefing was one of the boldest assertions yet by Ukraine of direct Russian military involvement in the nine-month conflict between pro-Russian separatists and government forces. "In spite of preliminary agreements, Ukrainian military units were attacked in the north of the anti-terrorist operational zone by regular military formations of the armed forces of Russia," the spokesman, Andriy Lysenko, said. "Heavy fighting is continuing near (Ukrainian army) checkpoints 29 and 31," he said, pinpointing an area near the town of Slovyanoserbsk, northwest of the city of Luhansk. "Ukrainian forces have stopped the advance of Russian troops ... The situation in the conflict zone is serious but under our control," Lysenko said at a news briefing. Three more battalion tactical groups of Russian motorized infantry had been tracked inside Russia heading towards the Ukrainian border, as well as an artillery division, he said. Lysenko had no immediate figures for estimated casualties. Ukraine's assertion that its troops were now engaged with Russian regular forces in its separatist-minded eastern regions followed a flurry of charges by Kiev that the Russian military was stepping up incursions to support the rebels. Despite what the West and Kiev say is incontrovertible proof, Moscow has consistently denied that any of its regular forces are deployed in Ukraine. The region around Luhansk includes a huge stretch of border with Russia and, with large parts of it under the control of separatists, is vulnerable to an inflow of military equipment and Russian forces. Prime Minister Arseny Yatseniuk said on Monday that Russian-made rocket and weapons systems were pouring into the country and Lysenko on Tuesday said two battalion tactical groups, each of about 400 men, had crossed into Ukraine from Russia - a charge dismissed as "absolute nonsense" by the Russian defense ministry. In a separate statement, the Ukrainian defense ministry said Ukrainian forces had withdrawn from one of the two checkpoints under attack and, with the aid of reinforcements, were trying to dislodge enemy forces. FOUR-WAY SUMMIT DUE Ukraine's announcement was certain to ratchet up tension between Kiev and Moscow on the eve of a planned meeting in Berlin of four foreign ministers that should bring Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin face to face with Russia's Sergei Lavrov. Wednesday's meeting, which also brings in the German and French foreign ministers, has been called to give fresh impetus to stalled efforts to end the worst crisis between Russia and the West since the end of the Cold War. The crisis started with the popular overthrow of a Moscow-backed president by street protests in Kiev a year ago. Russia subsequently annexed Ukraine's Crimea peninsula and threw its weight behind a pro-Russian separatist rebellion, leading to a conflict in which more than 4,800 people have been killed and the West has applied sanctions against Russia. Ukrainian forces at the weekend launched a counter-offensive to reclaim ground lost to separatists near the international airport in the big city of Donetsk, bringing condemnation from Moscow, which said this had damaged the prospects for a four-power summit on the conflict. Earlier on Tuesday, Ukraine's Klimkin pressed for further meetings to implement agreements reached in Minsk, Belarus, last September with Russia and separatist leaders including strengthening a much-violated ceasefire. Klimkin said separatist forces had abused the Minsk deal by seizing 500 sq km (194 sq miles) of territory beyond agreed separation lines since it was struck. (Additional reporting by Alessandra Prentice; Editing by Hugh Lawson)
Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting
- Yahoo Canada Style
"It's pretty gross."
We'd expect nothing less from these two.
Plus, a look inside their Montecito home.
- Yahoo Lifestyle SEA
Her performance in the Tokyo 2020 games had propelled her to new heights of popularity.
- Yahoo Life
The 23-year-old looks stunning!
The cause of death for 4-year-old Lauren Maxwell, the toddler daughter of rapper Fetty Wap, has been revealed as “a […] The post Fetty Wap’s 4-year-old daughter’s cause of death is revealed appeared first on TheGrio.
- Miami Herald
We have a winner! And it wasn’t the python.
- KGO – San Francisco
"Hug your families because you never know what is going to happen in the next moment." The family of a runner who went missing in Pleasanton thanked the community for their support after a body matching his description was found.
- Touchdown Wire
Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins has made it clear -- his "rights" are more important than doing everything possible to fight COVID.
- In The Know
Security footage reveals who has been opening family’s front door nightly: ‘I’ve been grounding the kids’
This mom had been grounding her kids for months for leaving the front door open — only to later discover the true culprit...
Long before she sold her custom-renovated, Hamptons-inspired home in ritzy Newport Beach, Calif., for $5.35 million — much less than the initial asking price of $6 million but still a solid profit on the $4.1 million she paid just over three years ago — Christina Haack pointed her real estate sights toward Tennessee where the […]
- Business Insider
Federal judge sanctions lawyers who brought conspiracy theory-filled lawsuit trying to overturn the 2020 election, reap $160 billion in damages
The lawyers brought "fantastical" claims and tried to claim damages "greater than the annual GDP of Hungary," the judge said.
- NBC Sports
Just when we thought the Messi-Barcelona saga had sorted itself out.
The Trump cards are for the former president's "STRONGEST supporters" and folks had thoughts.
- The AV Club
After months of speculation, guest hosts, excited dreams, and a general acknowledgment of the special place the series holds in the hearts of millions, Jeopardy! has apparently decided to solve its ongoing lack of a permanent host by just hiring the guy who already works there. Specifically, Variety reports that producers on the long-running game show are in “advanced negotiations” with fellow executive producer Mike Richards to take over as its permanent host. (For what it’s worth, Sony Picture
- Packers Wire
Continuing an annual summer tradition, Packers QB Aaron Rodgers hit nothing but net on a 50-yard throw at training camp practice on Thursday.
- Rolling Stone
"Trump Cards" are like vaccine passports, but for certifying that you're not immune to grifting
The Atlantic Ocean's current system, an engine of the Northern Hemsiphere's climate, could be weakening to such an extent that it could soon bring big changes to the world's weather, a scientific study said on Thursday. The Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC) is a large system of ocean currents which transports warm water from the tropics northwards into the North Atlantic. Climate models have shown that the AMOC is at its weakest in more than a 1,000 years.
- USA TODAY Sports
How would Oklahoma State and the other Big 12 schools fit in an expanded Pac-12 Conference?
- Associated Press
For almost three decades, 81-year-old David Lidstone has lived in the woods of New Hampshire along the Merrimack River in a small cabin adorned with solar panels. Lidstone, or “River Dave” as he’s known by boaters and kayakers, was jailed July 15 on a civil contempt sanction. Lidstone is accused of squatting for 27 years in the cabin on private property in Canterbury.