By Michelle Nichols and Aaron Ross UNITED NATIONS/KINSHASA (Reuters) - United Nations support for a planned military operation against Rwandan rebels in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo could be in doubt because Congo named a general accused of rights abuses to head the offensive, diplomats and officials said on Friday. General Bruno Mandevu was appointed on Sunday to head a Congolese army (FARDC) operation against the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), which had been jointly planned with the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Congo (MONUSCO). Western diplomats, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Mandevu had been placed by MONUSCO on a so-called red list over accusations of 121 rights violations, including summary executions and rapes. "If, because of the past record of units or their commanders, there are substantial grounds to believe there is a real risk that they commit grave human rights violations, support to those units will be withheld unless adequate mitigating measures can be put in place," a senior MONUSCO official told Reuters. "In this particular case, this process has brought to light some concerns that have been brought to the attention of the DRC government. Discussions are underway at the highest level to address them," the official said. During a U.N.-backed offensive against the FDLR in 2009, Congolese soldiers were accused by rights groups of massacring hundreds of civilians and committing wide-ranging abuses. The Congolese army denied the scale of the alleged abuses. The FARDC and the Congolese government were not immediately available for comment. A U.N. peacekeeping official in New York said that under the United Nations human rights due diligence policy, the world body has to "ensure that its support to non-U.N. security forces will not contribute to grave human rights violations." The U.N. peacekeeping mission in Congo threatened in 2013 to withdraw support for two Congolese battalions accused of involvement in the mass rape. The mission decided to keep working with the battalions after 12 senior officers, including the commanders and deputy commanders, were suspended and about a dozen soldiers were charged over the rapes in Minova. U.N. peacekeepers and Congolese troops completed preparatory work for the offensive against the FDLR earlier this month and were waiting for Congolese President Joseph Kabila to sign off on a joint military plan so combat operations could start. But during a meeting on Sunday with MONUSCO chief Martin Kobler and envoys from the United States, Britain, France, Belgium and the European Union, Kabila said that it would be an FARDC operation and not a joint campaign with the United Nations, said diplomats, speaking on condition of anonymity. They said Kabila told Kobler and the envoys that FARDC Chief of Staff Didier Etumba would provide a revised operations plan to tackle the FDLR, a group that includes former soldiers and Hutu militiamen responsible for Rwanda's 1994 genocide. "It is not a joint operation, it is one that is being led by the FARDC with support from MONUSCO," U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric told reporters earlier on Friday. "We will participate, provide support operationally, logistically and strategically. MONUSCO and the FARDC together will conduct regular joint evaluations of the operations," Dujarric said. The FDLR failed to meet a January deadline to disarm and surrender. U.N. officials say there are an estimated 1,400 FDLR rebels still in eastern Congo. "Operations v. FDLR must ensure protection of civilians, minimize civilian impact and track with U.N. human rights due diligence policy," U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, Samantha Power, tweeted on Thursday.
Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting
- Business Insider
America isn't running out of everything just because of a supply-chain crisis. America is running out of everything because Americans are buying so much stuff.
Claims that the US is running short on everything miss a key point. Record imports are part of the reason for the epic supply-chain congestion.
The White House press secretary asked the Fox News reporter a question he couldn't answer.
'Too Hot to Handle' star Harry Jowsey says he knew he got busted receiving oral sex as it was happening because he saw 'like 65 cameras' swerve on him to film it
Jowsey said there were "like 65 cameras" in his room on the show, including some right above his bed, in order to catch contestants in the act.
- Rolling Stone
The former president is jealous of how the media is covering the late Republican's death
Angelina Jolie plays Thena — a warrior with immense strength, speed and stamina — in Eternals
- Dolphins Wire
The Hall of Fame wideout has seen enough of the second-year quarterback.
- Business Insider
Joey Holz, whose experiment went viral, told Insider he specifically applied to businesses that were publicly complaining of a worker shortage.
- Good Housekeeping
'NCIS' season 19 showed Gibbs (Mark Harmon) leave the team and in Monday night's episode, the new team leader was named. Fans reacted to Park (Gary Cole) getting the job instead of McGee (Sean Murray).
The incident: In the beginning of the video, the original poster Denise Carino (@dennydoestiktok) is in the middle of clarifying what the woman had said to her. Carino also updated in the comments that the general manager had called to apologize.
Jennifer Gates, the eldest daughter of Bill Gates and Melinda French Gates, celebrated her wedding to Nayel Nassar over the weekend
- Fighting Irish Wire
Hardly a surprise...
- HuffPost Life
Curious what activities may be associated with higher COVID-19 transmission? Here's what data suggests.
Five NASCAR teams — three in the Cup Series and two in the Xfinity Series — were fined for lug-nut infractions after last weekend’s postseason events at Texas Motor Speedway. RELATED: Playoffs standings | Weekend schedule: Kansas Each team was found to have violated Section 10.9.10.4 of the NASCAR Rule Book, found with one unsecured […]
- Associated Press
A man charged with raping a woman on a commuter train just outside of Philadelphia harassed her for more than 40 minutes while multiple people held up their phones to seemingly record the assault without intervening, authorities said. More than two dozen train stops passed as the man harassed, groped and eventually raped the woman, the police chief for the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority said at a news conference Monday. Both the man and woman got on the train at the same stop Wednesday night in North Philadelphia.
- Lebron Wire
Here's why the Los Angeles Lakers claimed Avery Bradley off waivers, according to a report.
- Town & Country
William and Kate attended a gathering in the sunken garden of Kensington Palace in honor of the statue in Princess Diana's memory
- In The Know by Yahoo
Ex-Disney princess reveals alleged dark side of the job: 'They go to a place for children ... and act like this'
Becoming a Disney princess at one of the company's theme parks is a dream job for many.
- Charlotte Observer
It’s just the latest fan incident at Bank of America Stadium to go viral.
- Yahoo Life
Rousey used Instagram to call attention to the stigma around breastfeeding.
- Yahoo Sports
Baker Mayfield wants to play through the injury and will get a second opinion.