Updated Panthers free-agent tracker: Carolina brings back veteran DE Henry Anderson
The Panthers are bringing back a familiar face to fill out their new-look defensive front under new coordinator Ejiro Evero.
Carolina agreed to terms on a one-year contract to bring back defensive end Henry Anderson, according to a league source. Anderson, 31, originally joined the Panthers last season.
Anderson appeared in 11 games and produced 18 tackles last year. The veteran defender was forced to miss six games after suffering what he called a “minor stroke” ahead of the Week 8 matchup against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Anderson eventually returned to the lineup for the final five games of the season without issue.
While Anderson played in the previous regime’s 4-3 defense last season, he has plenty of experience in 3-4 fronts. He played in an odd front during his three-year stint with the New York Jets from 2018 to 2020.
Anderson will team with former first-round pick Derrick Brown and free-agent additions Shy Tuttle and DeShawn Williams to help fortify the new defensive line under new position coach Todd Wash.
Here is a look at the comings and goings of Panthers free agency so far:
Internal free agents
▪ S Sam Franklin (RFA)
▪ DT Matthew Ioannidis
▪ WR Rashard Higgins
▪ S Juston Burris
▪ CB T.J. Carrie
▪ OT Cameron Erving
▪ WR Andre Roberts
▪ LB Joel Iyiegbuniwe
▪ G Michael Jordan
▪ TE Giovanni Ricci
▪ TE Stephen Sullivan
▪ DE Henry Anderson
▪ QB Sam Darnold (to 49ers)
▪ QB PJ Walker (to Bears)
▪ RB D’Onta Foreman (to Bears)
▪ S Myles Hartsfield (to 49ers)
▪ LB Cory Littleton (to Texans)
▪ S Vonn Bell (from Bengals)
▪ DT Shy Tuttle (from Saints)
▪ QB Andy Dalton (from Saints)
▪ TE Hayden Hurst (from Bengals)
▪ RB Miles Sanders (from Eagles)
▪ DT DeShawn Williams (from Broncos)
▪ WR Adam Thielen (from Vikings)
▪ G Justin McCray (from Texans)
▪ G Austin Corbett
▪ S Xavier Woods
▪ P Johnny Hekker
▪ CB Donte Jackson
▪ WR DJ Moore (to the Bears)