- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
US lawmakers passed the most ambitious effort in decades to overhaul policing nationwide on Wednesday. The George Floyd Justice in Policing Act was voted on by the House late Wednesday. (March 3)
- Now yield one minute to the distinguished speaker of the House, Ms. Pelosi.
NANCY PELOSI: Madame Speaker, nearly one year ago, George Floyd gasped his last words, "I can't breathe," and ignited a nationwide reckoning on the racial injustice and police brutality in America.
- Gentleman from New York reserves. Gentleman from Ohio's recognized.
NANCY PELOSI: As members of Congress and as Americans, we cannot accept this epidemic of injustice. We cannot stay silent when our most vulnerable and historically marginalized communities, people of color, those living in poverty, Americans with disabilities, are being targeted and sometimes killed.
- Madame Speaker, I now yield 45 seconds to the distinguished gentlelady from Illinois.
NANCY PELOSI: The George Floyd Justice and Policing Act fundamentally transforms the culture of policing with strong unprecedented reforms.
- Gentleman from Ohio res--
NANCY PELOSI: With this legislation, let us take an important step in changing the world for George's family, for all communities of color, for all Americans, for the whole world.
- On this vote, the yeas are 220, the nays are 212. The bill is passed.