Vanessa Bryant 'devastated' by reports Kobe Bryant crash photos shared by first responders

Kalhan Rosenblatt and Diana Dasrath

Vanessa Bryant, the widow of NBA legend Kobe Bryant, responded through her attorney to reports that photos of the scene of the helicopter crash that killed her husband were taken and shared by Los Angeles County sheriff's and fire officials.

The statement says Bryant is "absolutely devastated by allegations" that photos were taken of the site of the crash, which also killed her 13-year-old daughter, Gianna "Gigi" Bryant, and seven other people.

"Mrs. Bryant personally went to the Sheriff's office on January 26th and requested that the area be designated a no-fly zone and protected from photographers. This was of critical importance to her as she desired to protect the dignity of all the victims, and their families," the statement from lawyer Gary C. Robb reads.

Download the NBC News app for breaking news

Robb said the family had been told that measures had been put in place to protect the victims' dignity.

"First responders should be trustworthy. It is inexcusable and deplorable that some deputies from the Lost Hills Sheriff's substation, other surrounding substations and LAFD would allegedly breach their duty," the statement reads.

The statement goes on to say that the Bryant family is calling for those who are alleged to be responsible for sharing the photos to face "the harshest possible discipline, and that their identities be brought to light, to ensure that the photos are not further disseminated." The family is also calling for an internal investigation.

"Mrs. Bryant is grateful to the individual who filed an online complaint exposing these acts of injustice, and for the choice to protect human dignity," the statement reads.

Kobe and Gianna Bryant died in the Los Angeles-area helicopter crash on Jan. 26. A memorial was held last month.