Wagner man convicted of sixth DUI to serve 4 months in jail after leading police on 70-mile pursuit

·2 min read

Sep. 4—LAKE ANDES, S.D. — A Wagner man will serve roughly four months in jail after leading authorities on a high-speed pursuit for nearly 70 miles and later pleading guilty to sixth DUI in the past decade.

Corey Frankenstein, 33, of Wagner, was sentenced Aug. 24 in a Charles Mix County courtroom to serve 120 days in jail and spend eight years on probation. His license was also revoked for a period of ten years.

At approximately 2 a.m. on March 26, a police officer in Wagner was patrolling the town when he witnessed a vehicle turn onto Front Avenue and drive northbound in the southbound lane.

When the officer activated his emergency lights, the vehicle slowed down and pulled to the side of the road, but failed to come to a complete stop, continuing to roll down the road at about 6 mph. The vehicle then took off northbound on Front Avenue, leaving Wagner city limits at 91 mph.

According to court documents, the vehicle reached 97 mph traveling north on 395th Avenue and passed a vehicle traveling the same direction. After turning east, the vehicle reached speeds of 99 mph, slowed down to 53 mph and sped back up to 90 mph.

As the pursuit continued, the vehicle eventually turned south onto South Dakota Highway 50, where it reached speeds of 118 mph.

Outside of his jurisdiction, the police officer from Wagner handed the lead of the pursuit over to a Charles Mix County deputy, but continued the pursuit in a secondary role.

An officer from the Yankton Sioux Tribal Police also joined the pursuit and was able to identify the driver of the vehicle as Frankenstein. Dispatch advised officers Frankenstein's license was revoked.

Eventually, as the pursuit came within two miles of the Nebraska border, officers lost sight of the vehicle. They later discovered it hidden in some trees about one-quarter of a mile into a field. In total, the pursuit covered approximately 70 miles.

Frankenstein was found in the drivers seat of the vehicle and placed under arrest.

While officers were speaking with Frankenstein, they smelled an odor of alcohol emitting from his body. Nearly an hour and a half after the pursuit had begun, a preliminary breath test registered a .110% blood alcohol content.

He was taken to the Wagner hospital for a blood draw before being transported to the Charles Mix County Jail, where another breath test registered a .119% result.

After originally pleading not guilty in May, Frankenstein eventually reversed course, entering a guilty plea on Aug. 17. Following a sentencing hearing, Frankenstein was given until Jan. 2, 2023, to report to the South Dakota State Penitentiary.