Walmart Recalls Better Homes & Gardens Room Spray

·2 min read

UPDATE 10/27/2021:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has confirmed the bacteria found in the recently recalled Better Homes & Gardens Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones is linked to two deaths and two illnesses in Georgia, Kansas, Minnesota, and Texas since March. After gathering samples from the homes of the positive melioidosis cases, a sample from a bottle of the room spray taken from the home of the Georgia victim has been confirmed to be a genetic match to the bacterial strains in the patient. In accordance with the CDC's guidance, Walmart is urging all customers who purchased the spray since it launched in February 2021 to stop using it immediately and return it to a Walmart Store in a double-bagged, clear zip-top resealable bag and placed in a small cardboard box. Do not dispose of it in the trash or pour the contents down drains.

Walmart just announced today a recall of approximately 3,900 bottles of essential oil room sprays due to the possible presence of a rare and dangerous bacteria that has been associated with a risk of serious injury and death. The Better Homes & Gardens-branded product—Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones—was sold in approximately 55 Walmart stores nationwide and online at walmart.com from February - October 2021.

Courtesy of The CDC

Retailing for about $4 a bottle, the now-discontinued product was available in the six scents below:

  • 84140411420 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Lavender & Chamomile

  • 84140411421 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Lemon and Mandarin

  • 84140411422 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Lavender

  • 84140411423 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Peppermint

  • 84140411424 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Lime & Eucalyptus

  • 84140411425 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Sandalwood and Vanilla

Four confirmed cases of melioidosis, including two deaths in the U.S., caused the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to investigate the source. A bottle of chamomile room spray found in one of the homes of the melioidosis decedents tested positive for the bacteria.

The CDC determined a version of the room spray contained the bacteria Burkholeria pseudomallei, which causes melioidosis. There is a wide range of symptoms of melioidosis that can be mistaken for other diseases, including fever, cough, chest pain, headache, respiratory distress, and more.

Consumers are urged to stop using the product immediately and return the product to a Walmart store in a double-bagged, clear zip-top resealable bag. Consumers should wash sheets or linens that the product may have been sprayed on and wipe down counters and surfaces that may have been exposed to the spray. If you have used the product within the last 21 days and experience fever or other symptoms, the CDC urges you to seek medical care and tell your doctor about the product exposure.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting