Target and Walmart are offering dueling incentives to keep car seats out of landfills.
In September, which is National Baby Safety Month, the two retailers are holding in-store trade-in events to recycle the old car seats.
On Sept. 16, Walmart kicks off its first car seat recycling event at nearly 4,000 stores. For the two-week period through Sept. 30, for trading in a used car seat, get a $30 gift card that "can be used on any item in stores or on Walmart.com," the company told USA TODAY in a statement.
Target’s trade-in event, which offered a 20% coupon on select baby gear in exchange for an old car seat, ended Sept. 13.
Check your kids' backpacks: Contigo recalls 5.7 million kids water bottles because of 'potential choking hazard'
Pumpkin spice season: Here's where to get an early taste of fall
Melody Richards, Walmart Baby vice president, said in a statement, that safety is a top priority for the retailer’s baby department.
“We wanted to use our size and scale to create an event that offered unprecedented access to trade in an outgrown car seat for a gift card – perfect for using on your baby’s next car seat,” Richards said.
Tom Szaky, CEO and founder of TerraCycle, the company that will be recycling car seats collected at Walmart, said that through the event they “expect to divert the plastic equivalent of approximately 35 million water bottles from landfills.”
Since Target introduced its first car seat trade-in program in April 2016, half a million car seats and more than 11.9 million pounds of materials have been recycled.
Walmart car seat recycling event
- Walmart’s event is from Sept. 16-30 and all car seat brands will be accepted. All car seats collected will be recycled through TerraCycle.
- Bring your car seat to the Customer Service counter during the recycling events at participating Walmart stores, which can be found on the store's website.
- In exchange, get a $30 Walmart gift card to use in-store or online. The card is subject to Walmart gift card's terms and conditions.
- There’s a limit of two trade-ins per household and booster seats are not eligible for trade in.
- Learn more and find locations at www.walmart.com/AboutBestOfBabyMonth.
Target's trade-in event
- Take your old car seat to Target's Guest Services and place it in the drop-off box from Sept. 3 to 13.
- Target stores will accept and recycle all infant car seats, including infant seats, convertible seats, car seat bases, harness or booster car seats. The materials will be recycled by Waste Management.
- In exchange, Target will give a 20% off coupon to use in-store and online through Sept. 14.
- The coupon can be used on baby gear, including a new car seat, car seat base, travel system, stroller or select baby home gear, such as playards, high chairs, swings, rockers and bouncers.
- Learn more at Target's corporate website.
New Target brand coming: Target's largest brand, Good & Gather, with more than 2,000 items launches Sept. 15
Follow USA TODAY reporter Kelly Tyko on Twitter: @KellyTyko
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Walmart car seat trade-in: Get a $30 gift card for recycling baby seat