Webster at Rye nursing home may consolidate with Nashua nonprofit: Public can weigh in

RYE — Area residents will get a chance to weigh in on a proposed merger between the Webster at Rye nursing home and a Nashua nonprofit group, Silverstone by Hunt, at a public hearing.

New Hampshire Attorney General John Formella announced the Director of Charitable Trusts will host the public hearing regarding the proposed transaction between the Rannie Webster Foundation and Silverstone by Hunt. Rannie Webster Foundation owns and operates the Webster at Rye skilled nursing facility. Silverstone by Hunt is the parent of The Huntington at Nashua and Hunt Community.

The public hearing will take place at the Rye Public Library, 581 Washington Road, on Wednesday, Feb. 8 at 4 p.m. The public may also participate in the public hearing remotely through videoconferencing. The New Hampshire Charitable Trust must approve the affiliation of the two nonprofits for it to proceed.

The Webster Rye, skilled nursing facility, may consolidate with a another nonprofit, if state regulators approve.
The Webster Rye, skilled nursing facility, may consolidate with a another nonprofit, if state regulators approve.

More local news:Million-dollar beach homeowners sue North Hampton over ‘unjust’ property tax assessments

Tom Argue, longtime executive director of Webster at Rye, retired in December. He referred comment to Brian Newman, CEO of Silverstone Senior Living in Nashua.

"I want to stress that this is not a purchase," said Newman, reached by phone. "It is an affiliation of two nonprofit groups. Webster at Rye will keep its name, the board will be the same and they will still control their financials. Silverstone will act as a parent company. We are larger and have resources we can offer to assist at Webster."

Newman said Silverstone and the Hunt community was formed in 1899. He said talks with the Rannie Webster Foundation began a few years ago.

"As a group, Webster made the application for the affiliation," Newman said. "The public hearing ... will allow area residents and concerned parties to weigh in. The Webster board will conduct the hearing and we will have a presence there to answer questions about us."

North Hampton debate: Should town take homeowner's land to fix cell phone dead zone?

Paperwork for the merger was filed with the state in November. Newman said the New Hampshire Charitable Trust arm of the attorney general's office has 180 days to make a decision.

"We think it looks good, and we hope to see a decision sooner," he said.

Newman said a listening session was held in November and at that time, the public was supportive of the move.

"Post-COVID, Webster had some struggles," said Newman. "We have larger services to offer, in areas like human resources, sales and marketing, and accounting. We will be able to help them with financial support, with staying on their feet. We know the facility has a long and respected reputation and what we are offering is strength in numbers. We can help with operational needs, and in negotiating things such as better health insurance with bigger buying power."

Arctic air to hit Seacoast:Record cold temps 'not out of the question'

Instructions on how to participate remotely in the public hearing will be posted at doj.nh.gov/charitable-trusts/rannie-webster.htm. Information and supporting documents about the transaction can be found at the same link.

The Director of Charitable Trusts will continue to accept written public comments on the proposed transaction through Feb. 22. Written comments may be submitted by email to charitabletrusts2@doj.nh.gov or to: Director of Charitable Trusts Department of Justice, 33 Capitol St., Concord, NH 03301.

This article originally appeared on Portsmouth Herald: Webster at Rye nursing may merge with Silverstone by Hunt of Nashua NH