MILWAUKEE, WI — After a weekend in which Wisconsin saw its new coronavirus cases nearly double, Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers says he is issuing a "safer at home" order on Tuesday. Evers, who announced the move on his official Twitter feed, said he will order the closing of all non-essential businesses while urging people to stay home. He and state health officials will slow the spread of COVID-19 in Wisconsin.
"I know this has been difficult and has disrupted the lives of people across our state. That’s why issuing a [safer at home] order isn’t something I thought we’d have to do, and it’s not something I take lightly. But here’s the bottom line: folks need to start taking this seriously," Evers wrote Monday morning on his official Twitter feed.
- Sign up for Patch alerts and daily newsletters. Don't miss local and statewide news about coronavirus developments and precautions.
- What's going on in Wisconsin? Find Out Here
- Want to submit an article? It's easy.
Evers said the order would start on Tuesday. An end date to the order has not been set, nor are there any indications how the order would impact Wisconsin's April 7 presidential preference primary. That April 7 election date also features scores of state, county and local elections.
Under the order, which will officially be enacted on Tuesday, Evers said citizens will still be able to perform essential trips, like going to the doctor, getting groceries, or getting medication. Even walking the dogs, Evers wrote.
"There will be additional details soon about what this order means for you, but I wanted to give everyone the opportunity to prepare and plan ahead so you can help do your part to keep our friends, neighbors, and communities safe," Evers wrote Monday morning.
According to a JSOnline report from Monday morning, Evers made the decision to call the order a "stay at home" order opposed to a "shelter in place" order to dissuade citizens from thinking that martial law was being imposed.
Wisconsin Cases Nearly Double Over The Weekend
According to the state Department of Health Services, they have confirmed 381 COVID-19 cases in Wisconsin as of Sunday, up from 206 cases reported on Friday afternoon.
A fourth person has died as a result of the ongoing new coronavirus outbreak in Wisconsin, officials said. The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's Office confirmed the death on Twitter, stating the victim was a 69-year-old man who had been hospitalized for several days prior to his death.
On Thursday, health officials confirmed that a Fond du Lac man in his 50s and an Ozaukee County man in his 90s both died from the coronavirus, officially called COVID-19. On Friday, officials confirmed that a man in his 60s died from the virus in Milwaukee County.