MILWAUKEE, WI — Campers at Wisconsin State Parks will see a few changes starting in mid-July, including an expansion of group camping, special events and open-air shelter freedoms, state officials said Tuesday.
The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources will begin to allow group camping for groups of up to 50 people with reservations starting on Monday, July 13, officials said in a news release.
- Group camping allowed at outdoor sites with a capacity of 50 people or fewer, with reservations.
- Limited special events permitted with up to 50 people.
- Unreserved use of open-air shelters with capacity limits and provisions for social distancing.
- Firewood is now available at select state parks.
- The DNR will begin placing camp hosts at state park campgrounds.
- Shelter, amphitheater and group camping reservations, as well as special events through July 12 will be canceled and refunded.
- Reservations for a longer stay at outdoor group camp sites with a capacity of 50 people or fewer that begin before July 13 and extend beyond July 13 will automatically be adjusted to begin July 13.
- Camping reservations are required before setting up camp and are accepted by phone 1-888-947-2757. ###a>
- Same-day camping reservations are available by phone (1-888-947-2757) and the online reservation system.
- Check-in is not necessary at the office or visitor station when coming to a property with an existing camping reservation. Please proceed directly to your campsite and begin setup.
- Capacity limits remain in effect.
- Open facilities like bathrooms and open-air shelters will have posted capacity limits.
- Properties will have provisions for social distancing such as picnic tables placed six feet apart in open air shelters.
- Indoor group camps remain closed at this time.
- Enclosed shelters and amphitheaters remain closed at this time.