The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is investigating after body camera video captured a motorist unleashing a racist tirade against a deputy and calling him a “murderer” during a traffic stop in San Dimas.
JENNIFER MCGRAW: An LA County Sheriff's deputy making a traffic stop, saying the driver was using her cell phone. The interaction, caught on body camera and the woman's cell. And it's going viral.
- The speed limit is 40 and I was going 38, so why are you harassing me?
- You're correct. I pulled you over because--
- Because you're a murderer.
- Yes, I started to record because you're a murderer.
- You can't be on your cell phone while you're driving.
- I wasn't on my phone, I was recording you because you scared me.
- You can't use--
JENNIFER MCGRAW: A simple traffic ticket turns into a dispute. The woman then calling for a supervisor.
- I already did. He's on his way.
- Good, because you're a murderer.
JENNIFER MCGRAW: While the woman looks for a picture of her driver's license she left at home, the conversation continues.
- I have a right to record the police when they're harassing me.
- By all means. But you can't do it while you're driving.
JENNIFER MCGRAW: Let's pause there. What are her legal rights?
JOHN MYERS: You're in violation of the vehicle code. Whether a judge would someday carve out an exception to that violation for self defense or self-protection is an unknown.
JENNIFER MCGRAW: With a gray area to be decided in court, the deputy continues to write the ticket.
- Can you Zoom in on that for me, dear.
- Thank you.
- And I'm perfectly legal. And I'm a teacher. So there, murderer.
- You're a murderer.
- What's your last name? I can't see that there.
- Well, here you go, murderer.
- If you'd stop shaking. Zoom in on that for me, ma'am--
- No, because you're scaring me. You're threatening to kill me and my son. Can you give me the--
- OK. Well I tell you what, you keep smiling. You're on camera.
- You're trying to threaten to kill me.
- I didn't say that.
- I'm not smiling, you're the one who's crazy.
- Hold that still--
JENNIFER MCGRAW: Then there's an edit. The rant continues.
- Is this your car?
- Yes, it is. You're trying to say I stole my own car because you're jealous?
JENNIFER MCGRAW: The supervisor arrives.
- He's only citing you for using your cell phone while you're driving. That's it.
- Here you go, ma'am. Sign inside the--
- For him being a Mexican racist. What is that name? "Gaspo?"
- It's on the citation, ma'am.
- Here you go, Mexican racist. You're always going to be a Mexican, you'll never be white. You know that, right? You'll never be white. Which is what you really want to be--
- Here you go, dear.
- --you want to be white.
JENNIFER MCGRAW: Following that traffic stop, that driver immediately called the department to complain about the officer and file a harassment complaint. That's why the deputy then decided to release the body cam footage for his own protection. We have not seen the unedited version of that, and we have also not seen the woman's own cell phone video. This whole thing is under investigation. Live here in San Dimas, Jennifer McGraw, KTLA 5 News.