Woman who jumped from Fairfield Twp. home after allegedly being set on fire has died

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Jun. 10—A woman who jumped from the top floor of her home to the ground after she became engulfed in flames has died.

Fairfield Twp. Police Sgt. Brandon McCroskey confirmed Brenda Scott, 50, of Liberty Twp., succumbed to her injuries Friday afternoon.

On May 11, Scott was found on fire in her backyard by a neighbor, who called 911. Police arrested Robbi Robinson, 23, after he was caught running from the home.

Robinson was initially charged with felonious assault and aggravated arson and bond was set at $200,000 in lower court. On May 19, bond was set at $1 million in Butler County Common Pleas court and charges were upped with a grand jury indictment to attempted aggravated murder, as well as felonious assault and aggravated arson.

"Our agency will continue to work closely with the Butler County Prosecuting Attorney's Office on their consideration of any new or additional charges," McCroskey said in a news release Saturday.

At arraignment, defense attorney David Brewer entered a not-guilty plea on Robinson's behalf and stated he had filed a motion questioning his client's competency to stand trial. Judge Keith Spaeth ordered a forensic psychological evaluation and set a hearing for June 15.

Assistant Butler County Prosecutor Katie Pridemore requested the judge set a high bond, outlining the trauma Scott suffered that included two teeth being knocked out by the roots in addition to the burns and injuries from jumping out a second floor window.

At the time of the arrest, Robinson was possibly having "suicidal ideations", and while he has been in the Butler County Jail, phone calls to family indicate he is try to reach out to the victim, Pridemore said.

"The charges have become much more significant than the two charges filed in lower court," Pridemore said. "The charges are particularly heinous and he poses a threat to society and especially the victim."

In jail monitored phone calls, Robinson said he "wants someone to get into the hospital room, talk to the victim, talk her out of prosecuting, have her drop the charges ..." Pridemore said.

If out on bond, Pridemore said she believes he would try to have access to the victim "to harm her, to harass her and to intimidate her."

Scott's family was in the front row of the courtroom for the arraignment, but they declined to comment.

Scott was in a bedroom of the home on Arroyo Ridge Court about 10:25 a.m. May 11 when she was hit in the face. She was then splashed with an accelerant and set on fire, according to McCroskey and court documents.

Fairfield Twp. Fire Chief Timothy Thomas said his crews were called to the scene by a neighbor "for a female on fire in the backyard" who possibly dropped from a second-story window while on she was fire.

Staff Writer Lauren Pack contributed to this report.

Firefighters found the woman in the backyard with significant injuries and extinguished a fire in the house.

The neighbor called 911 and jumped a fence to help the woman.

"I see a little fire next to her and she is laying in the backyard," the man told the dispatcher. "She is talking to me. She is hurt bad."

The woman can be heard in the background saying, "he set me on fire."

The suspect, who was still in the residence, used gasoline, she said.

Then the caller said he saw smoke from coming from the house.

"He set the house on fire too, oh my God," the caller said.

The man stayed with the injured woman assuring her help was on the way. He told dispatchers that he had a firearm, but was concerned about moving the woman. Dispatchers were also concerned for his safety since the suspect was believe to still be on the scene.