Woman suffers severe burns after microwaved eggs explode in her face

A 22-year-old woman is speaking out after a cooking accident left her with severe burns to her face and a swollen eye.

Bethany Rosser, of Worcestershire, England, told U.K.-based SWNS she discovered a recipe on the popular cooking website Delish on how to make hard-boiled eggs in the microwave.

Rosser claims the now-deleted recipe, part of which can be viewed below, stated it was safe to microwave the shelled eggs "as you add salt to the eggs in the water, to prevent them from bursting."

"So, of course, I added salt," she told SWNS.

Photo: Screenshot/Delish

Unfortunately, the time-saving trick backfired, and when Rosser checked on her eggs after microwaving them for six minutes — two minutes less than the maximum eight-minute cook time Delish recommended — she claims the scorching-hot eggs suddenly burst in her face.

The horrified woman called an ambulance and ran cold water over her burning skin when she realized the true extent of her injuries.

"As I splashed myself, I could see my skin peeling off," she told SWNS. "It felt like my skin was being ripped off, it was so scary. I've never been so scared in my life — I was shaking and crying."

Emergency responders rushed Rosser to a nearby hospital, where doctors treated her for her burns.

"It felt horrible, I was in total agony. I could feel my skin burning for hours afterwards — even while it was being treated in hospital," she recalled.

%twitter-url="https://twitter.com/ladbible/status/1161919185162817539" columns="1" hidemedia="No"%

Although Rosser says she was told the burns shouldn't leave her with scars, physicians informed her she may deal with long-term discoloration on her face.

The patient also said doctors were unable to determine whether permanent damage had been done to her eye since it was too swollen to properly examine.

Rosser said she hopes her story will prevent other unsuspecting people from partaking in the potentially dangerous cooking hack.

"I will never boil eggs in the microwave again, and I hope nobody else will either," she said.