Women, children killed in new attack in east DR Congo

(AFP Photo/)

Goma (DR Congo) (AFP) - Twenty-two people, most of them women and children, have been killed in a new attack in the troubled east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, just days after a similar massacre, a government official said on Saturday.

The attack left 10 women, eight children and four men dead, a local government official told AFP. It occurred some 50 kilometres (30 miles) from the town of Beni in the North Kivu province, where rebels slaughtered 26 people with machetes on Thursday, raising doubts about government claims that the Ugandan rebels who had been terrorising the area for the last two decades had been defeated.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting