Teaching young girls how to fly is one thing, but teaching them how to have a successful career in aviation was the goal of an event at Wings Over the Rockies.
- Teaching young girls how to fly is one thing, but teaching them how to have a successful career in aviation was the goal of an event at Wings Over the Rockies. When Dagmar Kress takes to the skies, she experiences a feeling unlike any other.
DAGMAR KRESS: It's freedom. It's total freedom. And it's peace because I leave all the worries down on the ground.
- It's a feeling she looks to pass on to others. At the Wings Over the Rockies exploration flight event, the goal is to show girls how they can have a career in flight.
DAGMAR KRESS: The event is important to show girls what is out there because the percentage of women in aviation is still low.
- This event is not only important to inspire girls to become pilots, but it's also important to show them that they can work in other areas of aviation as well.
- And you actually have a satellite phone also.
- This is where the one-flight team comes. The all-women's crew with Children's Hospital transports their patients using this helicopter. They show how there's opportunities to work in the cockpit.
- It's inspirational to be able to walk them through and know that they can do whatever they want to do.
- Or even as a flight nurse.
- It's really, really awesome to be able to educate, and do outreach with people, and show them what our career is.
- In all, it's about expanding the horizons and breaking down barriers for the next generation.
- Air comes in the front like every jet engine.
DAGMAR KRESS: If you would like to become a pilot and work anything in aviation or aerospace, go for it. There is no reason to hold yourself back.