Yemen’s Houthis halt missile attacks on S.Arabia, UAE; say ready for peace

(Adds details and background)

DUBAI, Nov 19 (Reuters) - Yemen’s Houthi movement said on Sunday it was halting drone and missile attacks on Saudi Arabia, the United Aran Emirates and their Yemeni allies, responding to a demand from the United Nations.

International pressure has mounted on Yemen's warring parties to end the war that has killed more than 10,000 people and pushed the country to the verge of starvation.

The move from the Houthi group came after the Saudi-led coalition ordered a halt in its offensive against Yemen’s main port city Hodeidah, which has become the focus of the war.

"After our contacts with the U.N. envoy and his request to stop drone and missile strikes ... We announce our initiative ... to halt missile and drone strikes on the countries of aggression," Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, the head of the Houthis' Supreme Revolutionary Committee, said in a statement.

U.N. special envoy Martin Griffiths is trying to salvage peace talks after a round in September collapsed when the Houthis did not show up. He hopes to convene talks before the end of the year in Sweden to agree a framework for peace under a transitional government.

The Iranian-aligned group which has been battling the Saudi-backed government for more nearly four years added it was ready for a broader ceasefire if "the Saudi-led coalition wants peace."

Western countries have provided arms and intelligence to the Arab states in the alliance, but have shown increasing reservations about the conflict since the murder of U.S.-based Saudi dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul early last month. (Reporting by Aziz El Yaakoubi Editing by Robin Pomeroy)