Young teen fatally shot in gang beef outside Bronx restaurant staggers inside, collapses as patrons duck for cover

Young teen fatally shot in gang beef outside Bronx restaurant staggers inside, collapses as patrons duck for cover
·2 min read

A 13-year-old boy was killed in a burst of gang-related gunfire on a Bronx street Sunday, staggering into a nearby restaurant where he collapsed, cops and witnesses said.

Jaryan Elliot was standing outside Angels Cafe in Belmont just after 3:15 p.m. when a shooter stepped out of a car and opened fire.

The teen was targeted, and the shooting was gang-related, NYPD Chief of Department said on Twitter Sunday evening.

The teen was hit several times, cops said. Medics took him to St. Barnabas Hospital, but he couldn’t be saved.

“I saw him, because he died here inside the restaurant,” Jennifer, a worker at the restaurant, said in Spanish. “He came in, fell, and died in the restaurant. We didn’t see what happened though.”

The restaurant’s customers and workers rushed for cover as the bullets flew, she said.

“It happened so fast. There were a lot of people in the restaurant. Everyone started running. People started running into the kitchen,” she said. “We all hid, just because we were afraid they might keep shooting. It happened so fast. He didn’t say anything. He just fell.”

When told of the victim’s age, Jennifer exclaimed, “Oh my God! He was just a baby! Imagine, with these things, how are you supposed to feel?”

At least five shell casings littered the ground outside the restaurant.

“Honestly in this neighborhood you see a lot of things. It’s very dangerous,” Jennifer said. “It’s not the first time someone has been shot, but it’s the first time it was so close.”

The shooting happened less than 12 hours after a patron kicked out of a Bronx bar returned with a gun and shot up the place early Sunday, wounding two customers, police said.

The gunman showed up outside Kalopsia Restaurant on Jerome Ave. near Marcy Place in Mount Eden about 4 a.m. and started firing indiscriminately after being booted earlier in the night, cops said. Two customers not involved in the earlier dispute, a 31-year-old man and 32-year-old woman, were both struck in the arm.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting