New Zealand's Tim Southee will return to the scene of one of his greatest triumphs on Thursday for the first Test against England at Lord's. Two years ago, the swing bowler gained a coveted place on the Lord's honours board with a match haul of 10 for 108, only for New Zealand to suffer a crushing 170-run defeat as they were dismissed for just 68 in their second innings en route to a 2-0 Test series loss. But Southee was on the winning side in February when his stunning seven-wicket haul set up a crushing victory for the Black Caps over England at Wellington during a World Cup where co-hosts New Zealand made it all the way to the final before losing to Australia. Now he is aiming to enjoy more red-ball success in what will be the 100th Test between England and New Zealand. The tourists have won just four of their previous 52 Tests in England. Since their last visit in 2013, New Zealand have won four and drawn two of their subsequent six Test series but they will go into Thursday's match with half their squad, including Southee and dynamic captain Brendon McCullum, having only just arrived in England after stints in the Indian Premier League. "It's always nice to come back to a ground where you've had success. But you start on zero again on Thursday," said Southee. With England's top order having been exposed during their recent third Test defeat by the West Indies in Barbados, the sacking of coach Peter Moores and the installation of a new management team -- all against the backdrop of the controversy surrounding Kevin Pietersen's ongoing international exile -- many pundits have forecast a series win for the tourists in this two-match contest. - Hadlee optimism - Indeed, New Zealand great Richard Hadlee told Britain's Daily Telegraph: "I think England are there for the picking." Southee was, understandably, more cautious, saying: "They (England) are coming off a Test series (drawn 1-1 in the Caribbean) where some of the guys performed very well. "What happened in the World Cup happened, and I'm sure they'll learn from that." Southee and left-armer Trent Boult have, for several years now, formed a potent pace attack. But the key to how New Zealand perform in this two-Test series is likely to rest with their top-order batting. Thursday's match is set to witness the Test return of in-form opener Martin Guptill, who hasn't played five-day cricket since the 2013 tour. But he was the leading run scorer at the World Cup, where his tally included a tournament record 237 not out against the West Indies. Last month he scored his maiden first-class double century, for English county side Derbyshire and then made 150 in New Zealand's final warm-up match against Worcestershire last week. The top of the order has been a problem area for England too, although captain Alastair Cook did end his near two-year wait for his 26th Test hundred in the West Indies. But while England have remained loyal to Cook, Yorkshire's Adam Lyth will become the captain's sixth opening partner in three years should he, as expected, make his Test debut on Thursday following the retirement of Jonathan Trott. Meanwhile there are fears England's attack has become over-reliant on James Anderson, now England's leading Test wicket-taker of all-time, with Stuart Broad, who sparked New Zealand's collapse at Lord's two years ago, a bowler of fits and starts. Uncapped Durham paceman Mark Wood could bolster England's seam attack at Lord's, where overhead conditions often favour bowlers at this time of year. Broad, for his part, was in no doubt about the importance of Thursday's match ahead of England's home Ashes series with Australia. "It's vital to win this series against New Zealand," said Broad. "It's a good opportunity going into the first Test for us to concentrate on the actual cricket, how we are going to up our game, get results and how we are going to up our love for cricket as a country."
Meghan Markle threatened to break up with Prince Harry if he didn't release a statement confirming their relationship, report says
A source told the Times of London's Valentine Low that Harry was "freaking out" about the situation.
Speaking at the Texas Tribune Festival, Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney said she will do "everything I can to make sure he's not the nominee."
- The Hill
Former top Pence aide: Trump claim that presidents can declassify docs by thinking about it ‘absurd’
Former top Pence aide Marc Short on Friday rejected a recent claim from former President Trump that presidents can declassify documents by thinking about it, calling the notion “absurd.” “That’s absurd, obviously,” Short told CBS News. “I think it would make it very difficult for the intelligence community to have a classification system if that was…
Trump said he could declassify documents with his mind, but he may have also accidentally admitted to taking them 'intentionally,' NYT reporter says
New York Times Correspondent Maggie Haberman said Trump may have deviated from the narrative that classified documents ended up at Mar-a-Lago accidentally.
Prince William and Kate Middleton realized they needed to 'up their game' after Meghan Markle's first royal engagement, according to a new book
According to Katie Nicholl's book "The New Royals," the Fab Four's relationship transitioned after Meghan Markle's first royal engagement in 2018.
After making several stunning appearances at New York Fashion Week, Amelia Gray Hamlin is now turning heads on the runways in Milan. The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills daughter recently walked in Giuliano Calza’s GCDS show, where she bared her backside in an unexpected look. “My butt had her first cameo,” Amelia captioned a September 22 Instagram Story video of herself on the runway. While it initially appeared Amelia was modeling a white tank top and jeans, it turns out the pants only had fro
- Boxing Junkie
Floyd Mayweather, 45 years young, knocked out MMA star Mikuru Asakura on Saturday (in the U.S.) in Japan.
- Fox News
Prince William ‘simply can’t forgive’ Prince Harry for his behavior following royal exit, author claims
Vanity Fair's royal correspondent Katie Nicholl alleged that the Prince of Wales was hoping that his younger brother, the Duke of Sussex, would be "his wingman."
- Orlando Sentinel
Tropical Storm Ian grew overnight in the Caribbean still with a path that could bring it to Florida next week as a hurricane prompting Gov. Ron DeSantis to declare a state of emergency across the Sunshine State. The National Hurricane Center’s 5 p.m. update puts Tropical Storm Ian’s center about 230 miles south of Kingston, Jamaica and about 430 miles southeast of Grand Cayman with maximum ...
- Business Insider
A man charged in the assault of a flight attendant on an American Airlines plane had to be restrained by fellow passengers and cuffed to a seat
Alexander Tung Cuu Le was arrested and later charged following the incident on a flight from Mexico to Los Angeles on Wednesday.
Retired Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer says he did 'everything' he could to stop the overturning of Roe v. Wade
"Did I do everything I could to persuade people? Of course, of course," Breyer said during an interview with CNN's Chris Wallace.
Prince George, Princess Charlotte & Prince Louis Are No Longer the Cambridge Kids—Here’s Why They Have a New Last Name
It appears that Prince George, 9, Princess Charlotte, 7, and Prince Louis, 4, are the Cambridge kids no longer. Recently, the trio's parents, Kate Middleton and Prince William, received new titles following the passing of Queen Elizabeth II on September 8. While at first the pair were named as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Cornwall, the new King Charles III then bestowed upon them the title of Prince and Princess of Wales. Chris Jackson/Getty Images In his first address as monarch, King
- USA TODAY
Denver Riggleman, a former adviser to the Jan. 6 committee told "60 Minutes" the White House switchboard called a rioter during breach.
- Fox News
Princess Diana’s and Meghan Markle’s differences in treatment of staff are ‘stark,’ royal expert says
Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle is facing criticism for the way she treated royal staff when living at the palace, in comparison to Princess Diana -- who was described as "kind."
Donald Trump will fight hard against Letitia James' lawsuit. Ex-AG insiders say these are his top 5 defenses.
Former NY AG prosecutors predict a slow-motion legal brawl where Trump will cry foul, claim ignorance, and delay, delay, delay.
- The Advocate
The former president malfunctioned at a campaign event in North Carolina.
The last time a British monarch abdicated, it sparked a constitutional crisis in the UK, but it also led to the long reign of Queen Elizabeth II.
Prince William had a strong bond with his grandmother, who died on 8 September, and now he's shared the sweet moment that happened after her passing.
- The New Voice of Ukraine
The wife of a Donetsk puppet authority fighter told her husband that dissatisfaction with the actions of dictator Vladimir Putin is growing in Russia, according to an intercept of their conversation published on Facebook by Ukraine’s military intelligence agency HUR on Sept. 24.
- Motley Fool
Instead, I'm talking about the countdown until Social Security recipients find out how much their benefits will increase next year. The Social Security Administration (SSA) is scheduled to make the big announcement in mid-October. Predictions vary as to the exact size of the upcoming cost-of-living adjustment (COLA), but it will almost certainly be the largest increase in over four decades.