Posts by Dylan Stableford
Dylan Stableford at Yahoo News 2 days ago
"Why die on Mars when you can live in South Dakota?"
That's the question posed in a new ad unveiled last week by the South Dakota Governor's Office of Economic Development.
The goal of campaign — developed by a Sioux Falls ad agency — is to remind the more than 200,000 people who applied to be prospective astronauts on the first trips to Mars that the planet is a cold, barren wasteland bereft of oxygen located 141 million miles from Earth. South Dakota, on the other hand, is a lot closer, and has plenty of breathable air.
"We think Mars has what South Dakota wants — thousands of people lining up to live there," Pat Costello, commissioner of the Governor's Office of Economic Development, told CNN Money. "So we decided to have a little fun with it."
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, South Dakota has an unemployment rate of 3.5 percent — one of the lowest in the country.
Enter ... Mars.
Coyote attacks in New Jersey: Police urge parents to keep children inside after dens discovered near schoolDylan Stableford at Yahoo News 3 days ago
Police in New Jersey are warning parents to keep their children and small pets inside after a series of coyote attacks and sightings and the discovery of two dens near a local school.
On Monday, a coyote was captured and later killed after officials in Norwood, N.J., say it attacked a police car.
"The coyote started to attack a police car," Norwood Police Chief Jeff Krapels told WABC-TV. "We called New Jersey Wildlife and they said that's not normal behavior for the coyote."
Warning: An aggressive coyote has just attacked the tires of a police car on Villa Ct, behind the NORWOOD PUBLIC SCHOOL
After a search of the area, police located the coyote behind a Norwood home. A wildlife officer shot and wounded the animal, police said, and it was later killed and taken to the state laboratory to be tested for rabies.
During their search, officials discovered two dens, including one that "has a tunnel towards the school."
Unfortunately, two dens have been found near the school and it is unknown if our Summit Street problem has been solved.
Dylan Stableford at Yahoo News 4 days ago
CBS News is defending its decision to air a video showing a 2013 sarin gas attack in Syria, for which no one has yet been held accountable, on Sunday's "60 Minutes."
"If you have young children watching right now, usually that's a good thing," correspondent Scott Pelley said at the top of the segment. "But this story is not for them."
The report included gruesome eyewitness footage of the attack that killed an estimated 1,429 people, including more than 400 children, in the suburbs of Damascus.
"These kinds of things happen in this world because people don't see them," Pelley said in an online interview explaining the decision to air the footage, "and don't know why of all the weapons in the world sarin is banned by almost every country on Earth. We wanted to just stop and show it to the world so people can understand the hideousness of this weapon."
CBS is hardly the first news organization to balance graphic footage with newsworthiness.
Television viewers were given a similar choice.
Dylan Stableford at Yahoo News 5 days ago
Jon Stewart doesn’t have many regrets as he approaches the end of his 16-year run as host of “The Daily Show.” But he does have one: not pushing Donald Rumsfeld harder when he had the chance.
The former secretary of defense appeared on “The Daily Show” in 2011 for an interview, which the comedian says he squandered.
“He just went into the general gobbledegook,” Stewart told The Guardian. “‘Mnah mnah mnah, well, you have to remember, it was 9/11 mnah mnah.’ I should have pushed, but he’s very adept at deflecting.”
Rumsfeld, who was on the show to promote his memoir, “Known and Unknown,” dodged Stewart’s questions about faulty U.S. intelligence leading up to the Iraq War.
“The intelligence always is never perfect,” Rumsfeld said. “You have to question it.”
According to The Guardian, Stewart looked “genuinely crushed” while reflecting on the exchange.
In February, Stewart announced that he would step down from “The Daily Show” later this year.
Dylan Stableford at Yahoo News 8 days ago
The 73-year-old Oklahoma volunteer sheriff’s deputy who shot and killed an unarmed suspect after confusing his pistol for his stun gun got firearms certification for training he never received, the Tulsa World newspaper reports.
The Tulsa County Sheriff’s Department dismissed the report as rumor.
Robert Bates was charged with second-degree manslaughter this week in the April 2 fatal shooting of Eric Harris, who allegedly tried to sell a stolen gun to an undercover officer.
Video footage of the incident released Friday shows Harris, 44, being tackled by deputies as a gunshot is heard. Bates, an insurance executive who was assisting in the undercover operation, could be heard saying, “Oh, I shot him. I’m sorry.” Bates told investigators he believed “there was a strong possibility Harris had a gun on him” when he attempted to deploy a Taser. But Harris was unarmed at the time of the shooting, authorities said.
Dylan Stableford at Yahoo News 9 days ago
Boston marked the second anniversary of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings on Wednesday with quiet ceremonies on what the city is calling One Boston Day.
A group of survivors, including the family of 8-year-old bombing victim Martin Richard, joined Mayor Marty Walsh on Boylston Street early Wednesday to unfurl banners near the site of the bombings that killed three people and injured nearly 300 others. Martin Richard, Lingzi Lu and Krystle Campbell were killed in the April 15, 2013, terror attacks — the deadliest act of terrorism on American soil since September 11, 2001.
The mother of Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev condemned the guilty verdict delivered by the jury in his federal death penalty trial on Wednesday, calling Americans “terrorists” and proclaiming her sons ’ innocence.
In an interview with the website Vocativ conducted over the WhatsApp messaging application, Zubeidat Tsarnaeva insisted on the innocence of her Chechen sons, Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who planted the twin bombs that killed 3 people and wounded nearly 300 others near the finish line of the 2013 marathon. She went on to say that the United States will ultimately pay for “framing” them.
“MY SONS ARE INNOCENT, AS INNOCENT AS ALL THOSE WHO ARE BEING KILLED BY YOUR COUNTRY,” Zubeidat Tsarnaeva wrote, according to the website. “TODAY THEY ARE KILLING MUSLIMS, AND TOMORROW WILL COME YOUR TURN AND HE WHO DOUBTS THIS IS DEEPLY MISTAKEN!!!!!”
“The terrorists are the Americans and everyone knows it,” she wrote. “My son is the best of the best.”
The Boston Marathon bombing survivor who wrote an open letter to Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hours after testifying at his federal death penalty trial says she hopes the guilty verdict will help her and other victims of the 2013 terror attack heal.
“I hope with this we can move forward,” Rebekah Gregory said on Wednesday, shortly after the jury found Tsarnaev guilty on all 30 counts for his role in the April 15, 2013, bombings that killed three people and injured nearly 300 others.
“I may be standing on one fake leg,” she told reporters outside her Katy, Texas, home, “but I am standing here stronger than ever because someone tried to destroy me, and he failed.”
An emotional Gregory mourned the “innocent lives” that were lost.
“There have been children taken, and parents that will never get to put them to bed at night again,” she said. “I am still so jumbled up by it.”
She said she isn’t sure whether Tsarnaev should receive the death penalty.
The bystander who captured cellphone video of South Carolina police officer Michael Slager fatally shooting Walter Scott, an unarmed black man, in the back says he almost deleted the footage out of fear other police officers might retaliate against him.
“I thought about erasing the video,” Feidin Santana told MSNBC on Wednesday. “I felt that my life, with this information, might be in danger.”
Santana, a 23-year-old from the Dominican Republic, said he decided to release the video after reading the police report.
“I saw it on the news and I said, ‘No, this is not ... what happened,’” Santana said.
Scott, a 50-year-old father of four, was killed on Saturday following a traffic stop over a faulty brake light. Slager, who had used a Taser on Scott before opening fire, said he felt threatened and that Scott was trying to grab his stun gun.
Santana’s footage does not show the initial traffic stop.
But Scott “never used the Taser against the cop,” he said.
Santana said he quickly realized the magnitude of his footage.
“I knew right away, I had something on my hands,” Santana said.
Dylan Stableford at Yahoo News 16 days ago
A Connecticut man was arrested on Tuesday after allegedly placing harassing phone calls to Sandy Hook Elementary School, accusing staffers of staging the 2012 school shootings.
Timothy Rogalski, of Wallingford, Conn., left “ four disturbing telephone messages ” on the school ’ s answering machine, according to police in Monroe — the town that has served as Sandy Hook Elementary ’ s temporary home since the massacre in Newtown two years ago. Rogalski also said the Boston Marathon bombings were a hoax.
The 30-year-old, who allegedly left similar messages at two other Newtown schools, called back a fifth time and spoke to an administrative assistant, police said.
Police traced the calls to Rogalski ’ s home, where he was arrested.
He was charged with five counts of second-degree harassment and one count of disorderly conduct, police said.
“ I don ’ t think I said anything that horrible, ” Rogalski said at an initial court appearance Wednesday, according to NBC Connecticut. He was ordered to undergo a mental health evaluation and not to contact Sandy Hook staffers.